Back from the beach and a too-short vacation, I am heading to London this week to address the annual summer gathering of independent tour operators (AITO). The theme is new technology and PR and I will be encouraging members to ask the following questions of their public relations consultant.
Why? Because if they get the answers right they can help an independent operator punch well above its weight in a competitive market. Too many PR’s have told me they are not embracing new technologies because their clients are not ready. Perhaps if more clients started asking awkward – make that informed – questions, the PR’s will be forced to catch up.
10 questions to ask your public relations consultant:
- Are you monitoring our online presence?
- How will you handle brand detractors and customer evangelists?
- Has our crisis planning evolved to take account of the new media landscape?
- Are you multicasting our press material using an array of new media?
- How will you raise our online profile?
- Will you incorporate rich social media applications into our public relations strategy?
- Can you help me save money using new open source collaboration and communication tools?
- Do you understand RSS and its implications for public relations?
- Do you know how we could incorporate it into an online media room?
- We run an orphanage/have set up a wildlife programme. How can you help us spread the word about our community efforts in new and compelling ways online?
Needless to say, all these questions and more will be addressed here in future posts.
Note to AITO members: if your PR consultant can’t answer these questions or doesn’t know why they have an important bearing on your future profitability, contact us on 01505 691311 and we will be happy to explain all, free of charge.